It is hugely a misconception that sites of cultural heritage are boring and absolutely only for those who are interested in history. The reality of it is that some of these structures are so magnificent that even if you do not know the history, the sight of such intricacy of work is sufficient to get you overwhelmed. Apart from this since most of these sites have been preserved over years by UNESCO, they are situated in spectacularly pleasant surroundings. We bring you a list here along with the history and legend.
Lamu Old Town – Kenya
- This small town in Lamu Island and is considered to be the oldest continuous inhabited town and was also one of the earliest settlements for Sawahilis on the East African coast.
- Many historians suggest that the port has been in existence for nearly 1000 years.
- There are many attractions at Luma Island; the narrow cobbled streets, the sea air and the old Arabic architecture which is blend of its old and new cultures.
- The climate is lovely, mostly serene, warm and slightly humid and tropical. The traditional Dhow sail is a must do activity if you are in Lamu Island. The Dhow sailing that happens on New Year’s Eve attracts many tourists from across the world.
- Luma is a sophisticated island with a natural opulence that has been attracting thousands of the tourists worldwide over the years.
- This famous heritage site is located on the shores of the man-made lake – Lake Nasser in the far South of Egypt. The great temple of Ramses II at Abu Simbel, 280 km to the south.
- All these monuments are magnificent pharaonic monuments dating back to 2000 – 3000 years.
- These monuments were completely dismantled and were shifted from their original locations and were rebuilt in a new location to save them from the floods of Nasser Lake.
- Of 11 monuments, only two are located at their original locations. The rest were shifted and were rebuilt in the safer places.
- The area between Aswan and Sudanese border is considered to be one of the largest archaeological areas in the world.
- Aswan is a beautiful lush oasis and virtually the final stop before Sudan next to the Nubian desserts.
Historic town of Ouro Preto
- Founded at the end of 17 century in Brazil, Ouro Preto means “Black Diamond” and was originally called Vila rica meaning rich village
- Ouro Preto was a former colonial town located in Serra do Espinhaco and was mining town and the focal point of gold rush and Brazil’s Gold rush in eighteenth century
- The town is shaped by the small settlements in a hilly landscape with houses seeming to support one another form an irregular nonchalant urban layout followed by an outline of beautiful landscape
- The Church of Sao Francisco de Assis is considered a masterpiece of Brazilian architecture
- The archaeological richness of the town with great buildings, bridges and fountains, all blend into urban modernization and beautiful natural settings
Pyu Ancient Cities – Myanmar
- Pyu Ancient cities is the first UNESCO-recognized World Heritage Site in Mayanmar. The site includes three cities Halin, Beikthano and Sri Ksetra.
- The Pyu Kingdom flourished over 1000 years ago between 200 BC and 900 AD.
- The site is located in vast irrigated landscapes of Ayeyarwady river basin. The three cities ad partly excavated archaeological sites.
- The current excavations include the Place citadels, ancient industrial production sites, monumental Buddhist brick stupas as well as burial grounds.
- The Pyu ancient city attracts 60,000 foreign tourists every year and is most favourite tourist spot in entire Myanmar.
Acropolis of Athens
- Considered as the icon of Greek civilization, the acropolis of Athens is the greatest and the finest sanctuary of ancient Athenians
- The Acropolis dates back to 5 century BC dedicated to Goddess Athena
- When you climb Acropolis, your reach to the most famous monument of the ancient Greek civilization
- The pottery shreds of the Neolithic period which is somewhere between 4000-3000 BC are the evidences to show that the hill of Acropolis was inhibited from a very early period
- As we climb acropolis, we reach to the famous temples of Propylaia and temple of Athena Nike. Both are beautifully proportioned ionic temples
- Parthenon is dedicated to Athena Parthenos and is most important religious shrine
- Acropolis is located on a flat topped rock that stands 150 m long above the sea level. The ancient relic offers a spectacular view of the rest of the city in the modern urban background