The military memorial of Redipuglia is a monumental cemetery situated in the Italian region of Friuli – Venezia Giulia, in the northeastern part of Italy.
It was built in 1938, during fascism to commemorate the Italian soldiers who died in WWI.
The area where it was built was theather of a bloody battle during WWI, known as the ‘Battle of the Isonzo river’, taking place in the Karst Plateau, a limestone plateau region extending across the border of southwestern Slovenia and northeastern Italy.
Every 4th November the President of the Senate, in substitution of the President of the Republic (who holds the commemoration at the Altar of the Fatherland, in Rome), holds an event in order to commemorate each of the 689.000 Italian soldiers who died in WWI.
The great flight of steps of the memorial is directly in front of Saint Elia Hill, where the corps of the soldiers were buried, before being moved inside the monument.
The entire area was converted into a remembrance park, with galleries, trenches and unexploded munitions conserved in their original state.
On the top of the monument there is a fragment of a Roman column found in the archaeological excavations of Aquileia. It celebrates the deeds of every war ever fought, “without distinction of time and fortune”. The monument also embodies anonymity, equality and military discipline beyond death.
A monument representing collectivity over individuality.