The fossil remains of a series of lakes and sand formations that date from the Pleistocene can be found in this region, together with archaeological evidence of human occupation dating from 45–60,000 years ago. It is a unique landmark in the study of human evolution on the Australian continent. Several well-preserved fossils of giant marsupials have also been found here.
- The region is a dry, harsh, semi-arid landscape though it has been discovered that thousands of years ago it was a beautiful paradise filled with water, animals, birds and human activity.
- Discovery of ancient human bones, footprints and animal fossils have helped scientists understand what life was like many years ago.
- “The Willandra Lakes Region represents major stages of the earth’s geological history, particularly with the response to major glacial-interglacial fluctuations. “
Year of Inscription: 1981
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Willandra Lakes Region! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Willandra Lakes Region.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/willandra-lakes-region/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115131/2343335952_9413fbeb52_b-1024x576.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115131/2343335952_9413fbeb52_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Willandra Lakes Region
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Willandra Lakes Region? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Willandra Lakes Region View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Willandra Lakes Region View all
Recommendations for Willandra Lakes Region
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Willandra Lakes Region? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Willandra Lakes Region
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Willandra Lakes Region?
Events at or near Willandra Lakes Region
Know any events coming up at Willandra Lakes Region?List an event