Situated on a hill overlooking the city, the University of Coimbra with its colleges grew and evolved over more than seven centuries within the old town. Notable university buildings include the 12th century Cathedral of Santa Cruz and a number of 16th century colleges, the Royal Palace of Alcáçova, which has housed the University since 1537, the Joanine Library with its rich baroque decor, the 18th century Botanical Garden and University Press, as well as the large “University City” created during the 1940s. The University’s edifices became a reference in the development of other institutions of higher education in the Portuguese-speaking world where it also exerted a major influence on learning and literature. Coimbra offers an outstanding example of an integrated university city with a specific urban typology as well as its own ceremonial and cultural traditions that have been kept alive through the ages.
- It is one of the oldest universities in continuous operation in the world, the oldest university of Portugal, and one of its largest higher education and research institutions.
- The university is also home to the oldest university students’ union in Portugal, with a long history of struggle against unpopular state policies, forming notable politicians and intellectuals along the way.
- A celebration of graduation’s end, “Queima das Fitas” is held here symbolized by the burning of the ribbons with the colors of each of the eight faculties.
Year of Inscription: 2013
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit the University of Coimbra! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to University of Coimbra.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/university-of-coimbra-alta-and-sofia/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/23134824/5321962690_38ac2b2c88_b-663x1024.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/23134824/5321962690_38ac2b2c88_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for University of Coimbra – Alta and Sofia
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from University of Coimbra – Alta and Sofia View all
Travelers Who Have Visited University of Coimbra – Alta and Sofia View all
Recommendations for University of Coimbra – Alta and Sofia
- Joanine Library - Trailblazer
Trivia from University of Coimbra – Alta and Sofia
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to University of Coimbra – Alta and Sofia?
Events at or near University of Coimbra – Alta and Sofia
Know any events coming up at University of Coimbra – Alta and Sofia?List an event