Timgad lies on the northern slopes of the Aurès mountains and was created ex nihilo as a military colony by the Emperor Trajan in AD 100. With its square enclosure and orthogonal design based on the cardo and decumanus, the two perpendicular routes running through the city, it is an excellent example of Roman town planning.
- It is sometimes called the Pompeii of North Africa due to the extensive and well preserved remains of the Roman city founded here by Trajan in A.D. 100.
- The city had been meticulously planned using the grid system and the ruins reveal a high degree of sophistication in detail and design than even the modern day settlements in North Africa can scarcely match.
- Originally the city was built as a military colony and enjoyed a peaceful existence for the first several hundred years and became a center of Christian activity starting in the 3rd century.
Year of Inscription: 1982
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Timgad! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Timgad.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/timgad/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115129/323697018_3bfd827418_o-1024x768.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115129/323697018_3bfd827418_o-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Timgad
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Timgad? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Timgad
No photos here yet. Have you been to Timgad?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited Timgad
Have you been to Timgad? Share travel photos
Recommendations for Timgad
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Timgad? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Timgad
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Timgad?
Events at or near Timgad
Know any events coming up at Timgad?List an event