Located in a strange lunar landscape of great geological interest, this site has one of the most important groupings of prehistoric cave art in the world. More than 15,000 drawings and engravings record the climatic changes, the animal migrations and the evolution of human life on the edge of the Sahara from 6000 BC to the first centuries of the present era. The geological formations are of outstanding scenic interest, with eroded sandstones forming ‘forests of rock’.
- It is a plateau in the central Sahara and the area is characterized by high cliffs, some of which have decorated panels at their base.
- The region is famed for a wide range of rock paintings and engravings. However, determination of their age is hotly contested, but scholars generally agree that they date from approximately 7,000 years ago.
- The engravings include those of an important early school of art, the “Naturalistic Bubaline,” which was approximately contemporary with the Round Head paintings. These artists used a remarkably naturalistic style to depict domestic cattle and wild animals, including the now-extinct giant buffalo.
Year of Inscription: 1982
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Tassili n’Ajjer! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Tassili n’Ajjer.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/tassili-najjer/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115340/4618375987_0e5926b1af_o-1024x645.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115340/4618375987_0e5926b1af_o-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Tassili n’Ajjer
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Tassili n’Ajjer? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Tassili n’Ajjer
No photos here yet. Have you been to Tassili n’Ajjer?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited Tassili n’Ajjer
Have you been to Tassili n’Ajjer? Share travel photos
Recommendations for Tassili n’Ajjer
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Tassili n’Ajjer? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Tassili n’Ajjer
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Tassili n’Ajjer?
Events at or near Tassili n’Ajjer
Know any events coming up at Tassili n’Ajjer?List an event