At the most westerly point of the Australian continent, Shark Bay, with its islands and the land surrounding it, has three exceptional natural features: its vast sea-grass beds, which are the largest (4,800 km2) and richest in the world; its dugong (‘sea cow’) population; and its stromatolites (colonies of algae which form hard, dome-shaped deposits and are among the oldest forms of life on earth). Shark Bay is also home to five species of endangered mammals.
- It is home to about 10,000 dugongs (sea cows), around 12.5% of the world’s population.
- The amazing ecosystem also includes the largest number of seagrass species ever recorded in one place. Twelve species have been found, with up to nine occurring together in some places.
- The seagrass banks have a large amount of sediments deposited at their roots and this has raised the sea floor considerably. Further, due to the hot climate and restriction of the flow of tidal waters through the bay area, thanks to the sea grass, the water around the bay is almost twice as salty as compared to the rest of the sea.
Year of Inscription: 1991
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Shark Bay, Western Australia! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Shark Bay, Western Australia.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/shark-bay-western-australia/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115132/1032398519_98c7387b62_o-1024x681.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115132/1032398519_98c7387b62_o-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Shark Bay, Western Australia
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Shark Bay, Western Australia View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Shark Bay, Western Australia View all
Recommendations for Shark Bay, Western Australia
Trivia from Shark Bay, Western Australia
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Shark Bay, Western Australia?
Events at or near Shark Bay, Western Australia
Know any events coming up at Shark Bay, Western Australia?List an event