The nine Sacri Monti (Sacred Mountains) of northern Italy are groups of chapels and other architectural features created in the late 16th and 17th centuries and dedicated to different aspects of the Christian faith. In addition to their symbolic spiritual meaning, they are of great beauty by virtue of the skill with which they have been integrated into the surrounding natural landscape of hills, forests and lakes. They also house much important artistic material in the form of wall paintings and statuary.
Why should you visit?
- The implantation of architecture and sacred art into a natural landscape for didactic and spiritual purposes achieved its most exceptional expression in the Sacri Monti (‘Sacred Mountains’) of northern Italy and had a profound influence on subsequent developments elsewhere in Europe.
- The Sacri Monti (‘Sacred Mountains’) of northern Italy represent the successful integration of architecture and fine art into a landscape of great beauty for spiritual reasons at a critical period in the history of the Roman Catholic Church.
- They are dedicated to various aspects of the Christian faith and are considered of great beauty by virtue of the skill with which they have been integrated into the surrounding natural landscape of hills, forests and lakes.
Year of Inscription: 2003
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Sacri Monti of Piedmont and Lombardy! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Sacri Monti of Piedmont and Lombardy.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/sacri-monti-of-piedmont-and-lombardy/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115229/3943464431_9527e38e16_b-768x1024.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115229/3943464431_9527e38e16_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Sacri Monti of Piedmont and Lombardy
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Sacri Monti of Piedmont and Lombardy View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Sacri Monti of Piedmont and Lombardy View all
Recommendations for Sacri Monti of Piedmont and Lombardy
- Sacromonte of Campo dei Fiori - Trailblazer
Trivia from Sacri Monti of Piedmont and Lombardy
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Sacri Monti of Piedmont and Lombardy?
Events at or near Sacri Monti of Piedmont and Lombardy
Know any events coming up at Sacri Monti of Piedmont and Lombardy?List an event