The Rock Shelters of Bhimbetka are in the foothills of the Vindhyan Mountains on the southern edge of the central Indian plateau. Within massive sandstone outcrops, above comparatively dense forest, are five clusters of natural rock shelters, displaying paintings that appear to date from the Mesolithic Period right through to the historical period. The cultural traditions of the inhabitants of the twenty-one villages adjacent to the site bear a strong resemblance to those represented in the rock paintings.
Why should you visit?
Bhimbetka reflects a long interaction between people and the landscape, as demonstrated in the quantity and quality of its rock art. Criterion (v): Bhimbetka is closely associated with a hunting and gathering economy as demonstrated in the rock art and in the relicts of this tradition in the local adivasi villages on the periphery of this site.
Year of Inscription: 2003https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/rock-shelters-of-bhimbetka/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/11160459/bhimbetka.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/11160459/bhimbetka-150x150.jpgajay,travel,world heritage travel
Travel Info for Rock Shelters of Bhimbetka
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Rock Shelters of Bhimbetka View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Rock Shelters of Bhimbetka View all
Recommendations for Rock Shelters of Bhimbetka
- Ancient Rock Painting - Pradhan Birua
- If the weather is nice, then trek up to Bhimbetka rather than taking a car to cover the approx 4 kms distance from the main road to the site. The way goes through the Ratapani wildlife sanctuary and the silence, the wilderness and the isolation of the place is simply overwhelming! - Shashank Manu
- Paintings on the inner walls of the caves in red pigment - Chandni Chowdhary
- The Cave Paintings - Sanghamitra B. Jayant
- there are 15 sights that public are allowed. Guides will take to you all these places and explain whats happening in the paintings. - Prasun Bheri
Trivia from Rock Shelters of Bhimbetka
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Rock Shelters of Bhimbetka?
Events at or near Rock Shelters of Bhimbetka
Know any events coming up at Rock Shelters of Bhimbetka?List an event