In the valley of the Roussenski Lom River, in north east Bulgaria, a complex of rock-hewn churches, chapels, monasteries and cells developed in the vicinity of the village of Ivanovo. This is where the first hermits had dug out their cells and churches during the 12th century. The 14th-century murals testify to the exceptional skill of the artists belonging to the Tarnovo School of painting.
- The most famous artifacts here are the 13th- and 14th-century frescoes, preserved in 5 of the churches, which are thought of as wonderful examples of Bulgarian mediaeval art.
- The Buried Church has a portrait of Tsar Ivan Assen II, the church-donor, holding a miniature model of the church.
Year of Inscription: 1979
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Rock-Hewn Churches of Ivanovo! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Rock-Hewn Churches of Ivanovo.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/rock-hewn-churches-of-ivanovo/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115142/8880431642_2bba45f42e_b-1024x681.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115142/8880431642_2bba45f42e_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Rock-Hewn Churches of Ivanovo
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Rock-Hewn Churches of Ivanovo? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Rock-Hewn Churches of Ivanovo
No photos here yet. Have you been to Rock-Hewn Churches of Ivanovo?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited Rock-Hewn Churches of Ivanovo
Have you been to Rock-Hewn Churches of Ivanovo? Share travel photos
Recommendations for Rock-Hewn Churches of Ivanovo
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Rock-Hewn Churches of Ivanovo? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Rock-Hewn Churches of Ivanovo
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Rock-Hewn Churches of Ivanovo?
Events at or near Rock-Hewn Churches of Ivanovo
Know any events coming up at Rock-Hewn Churches of Ivanovo?List an event