Península Valdés in Patagonia is a site of global significance for the conservation of marine mammals. It is home to an important breeding population of the endangered southern right whale as well as important breeding populations of southern elephant seals and southern sea lions. The orcas in this area have developed a unique hunting strategy to adapt to local coastal conditions.
Why should you travel to Peninsula Valdés?
Peninsula Valdés contains very important and significant natural habitats for the in-situ conservation of several threatened species of outstanding universal value, and specifically its globally important concentration of breeding southern right whales, which is an endangered species. It is also important because of the breeding populations of southern elephant seals and southern sea lions. The area exhibits an exceptional example of adaptation of hunting techniques by the orca to the local coastal conditions.
- The Southern Right Whales use the natural harbours in the peninsula as a resting and breeding ground between June and November.
- The coastline here is also inhabited by marine mammals, like sea lions, elephant seals and fur seals.
- August-September-October are good months to visit and watch the whales.
Year of Inscription: 1999
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Península Valdés! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Península Valdés.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/peninsula-valdes/
Travel Info for Península Valdés
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Península Valdés View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Península Valdés View all
Recommendations for Península Valdés
- whalewatching, scuba diving - Cathrin Eszbach
Trivia from Península Valdés
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Península Valdés?
Events at or near Península Valdés
Know any events coming up at Península Valdés?List an event