Situated in a mountain valley at an altitude of 2,200 m, Sana’a has been inhabited for more than 2,500 years. In the 7th and 8th centuries the city became a major centre for the propagation of Islam. This religious and political heritage can be seen in the 103 mosques, 14 hammams and over 6,000 houses, all built before the 11th century. Sana’a’s many-storeyed tower-houses built of rammed earth (pisé) add to the beauty of the site.
- Sana’a is one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world.
- Multi-storey buildings decorated with geometric patterns are a distinctive visual feature of Sana’a
- One of the most popular attractions is Suq al-Milh (Salt Market), where it is possible to buy salt along with bread, spices, raisins, cotton, copper, pottery, silverware, and antiques.
Year of Inscription: 1986
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Old City of Sana’a! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Old City of Sana’a.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/old-city-of-sanaa/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115338/2440464098_7b7b8b8b4f_b-1024x680.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115338/2440464098_7b7b8b8b4f_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Old City of Sana’a
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Old City of Sana’a? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Old City of Sana’a
No photos here yet. Have you been to Old City of Sana’a?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited Old City of Sana’a
Have you been to Old City of Sana’a? Share travel photos
Recommendations for Old City of Sana’a
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Old City of Sana’a? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Old City of Sana’a
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Old City of Sana’a?
Events at or near Old City of Sana’a
Know any events coming up at Old City of Sana’a?List an event