Founded in the 12th century on a hill site surrounded by the Aare River, Berne developed over the centuries in line with a an exceptionally coherent planning concept. The buildings in the Old City, dating from a variety of periods, include 15th-century arcades and 16th-century fountains. Most of the medieval town was restored in the 18th century but it has retained its original character.
- The city of Berne was founded in 1191 but most of the wooden buildings were destroyed by fire in 1405, and the city was rebuilt with sandstone buildings.
- The construction of the Gothic cathedral located to the south started in the year 1421 but the bell tower was finished in the year 1893.
- This bell tower is Switzerland’s tallest tower and it measures 100 meters high. The tower features a massive bell that weighs about 10 tons.
Year of Inscription: 1983
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Old City of Berne! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Old City of Berne.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/old-city-of-berne/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115320/6203027196_31c21a86cf_b-1024x678.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115320/6203027196_31c21a86cf_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Old City of Berne
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Old City of Berne View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Old City of Berne View all
Recommendations for Old City of Berne
Trivia from Old City of Berne
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Old City of Berne?
Events at or near Old City of Berne
Know any events coming up at Old City of Berne?List an event