The Cathedral of Notre-Dame in Tournai was built in the first half of the 12th century. It is especially distinguished by a Romanesque nave of extraordinary dimensions, a wealth of sculpture on its capitals and a transept topped by five towers, all precursors of the Gothic style. The choir, rebuilt in the 13th century, is in the pure Gothic style.
Why should you visit the Notre-Dame Cathedral in Tournai?
- The Cathedral of Notre-Dame in Tournai bears witness to a considerable exchange of influence between the architecture of the Ile de France, the Rhineland, and Normandy during the short period at the beginning of the 12th century that preceded the flowering of Gothic architecture.
- In its imposing dimensions, the Cathedral of Notre-Dame in Tournai is an outstanding example of the great edifices of the school of the north of the Seine, precursors of the vastness of the Gothic cathedrals.
Year of Inscription: 2000
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Notre-Dame Cathedral in Tournai! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Notre-Dame Cathedral in Tournai.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/notre-dame-cathedral-in-tournai/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115136/146169601_05e0057791.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115136/146169601_05e0057791-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Notre-Dame Cathedral in Tournai
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Notre-Dame Cathedral in Tournai View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Notre-Dame Cathedral in Tournai View all
Recommendations for Notre-Dame Cathedral in Tournai
Trivia from Notre-Dame Cathedral in Tournai
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Notre-Dame Cathedral in Tournai?
Events at or near Notre-Dame Cathedral in Tournai
Know any events coming up at Notre-Dame Cathedral in Tournai?List an event