A traditional human habitat, created in the 10th century by the Ibadites around their five ksour (fortified cities), has been preserved intact in the M’Zab valley. Simple, functional and perfectly adapted to the environment, the architecture of M’Zab was designed for community living, while respecting the structure of the family. It is a source of inspiration for today’s urban planners.
- The city is a brilliant example of a city constructed using traditional and environment adaptive method, which landed it in the UNESCO heritage site list.
- M’Zab Valley is composed of five walled villages (ksar), which are collectively called the Pentapolis. The Pentapolis village of Ghardaïa is the main settlement and capital of the region. The other four are El-Ateuf, Bounoura, Beni Isguen, and Melika.
- Interestingly Ghardaya is the only one of the five cities that has admitted Europeans, Jews, Arabs and other foreign elements.
Year of Inscription: 1982
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit M’Zab Valley! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to M’Zab Valley.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/mzab-valley/
Travel Info for M’Zab Valley
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to M’Zab Valley? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from M’Zab Valley
No photos here yet. Have you been to M’Zab Valley?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited M’Zab Valley
Have you been to M’Zab Valley? Share travel photos
Recommendations for M’Zab Valley
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to M’Zab Valley? Share Recommendations
Trivia from M’Zab Valley
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to M’Zab Valley?
Events at or near M’Zab Valley
Know any events coming up at M’Zab Valley?List an event