Discovered in 1570 by Diego García de Palacio, the ruins of Copán, one of the most important sites of the Mayan civilization, were not excavated until the 19th century. The ruined citadel and imposing public squares reveal the three main stages of development before the city was abandoned in the early 10th century.
- The rulers of Copán were able to sustain their political and military power for 400 years, with a dynasty of 16 kings (called “ahaus”) overseeing the city’s expansion.
- By studying burials at Copán, anthropologists know that by the 8th century the people of Copán suffered from both malnutrition and disease. This was probably linked to their poor agricultural methods.
- The valley of Copán extends for approximately 10 square miles and the remains of Maya stone monuments, structures, and pyramids can be found almost anywhere in it.
Year of Inscription: 1980
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Maya Site of Copan! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Maya Site of Copan.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/maya-site-of-copan/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115215/5838029506_b82a68008c_b-768x1024.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115215/5838029506_b82a68008c_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Maya Site of Copan
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Maya Site of Copan? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Maya Site of Copan View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Maya Site of Copan View all
Recommendations for Maya Site of Copan
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Maya Site of Copan? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Maya Site of Copan
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Maya Site of Copan?
Events at or near Maya Site of Copan
Know any events coming up at Maya Site of Copan?List an event