- Points 100
- Region United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Europe and North America
- More Info - UNESCO
The ensemble of buildings at Greenwich, an outlying district of London, and the park in which they are set, symbolize English artistic and scientific endeavour in the 17th and 18th centuries. The Queen’s House (by Inigo Jones) was the first Palladian building in England, while the complex that was until recently the Royal Naval College was designed by Christopher Wren. The park, laid out on the basis of an original design by André Le Nôtre, contains the Old Royal Observatory, the work of Wren and the scientist Robert Hooke.
Why should you visit?
The Committee decided to inscribe this property on the basis of cultural criteria (i), (ii), (iv) and (vi), considering that the public and private buildings and the Royal Park at Greenwich form an exceptional ensemble that bears witness to human artistic and scientific endeavour of the highest quality, to European architecture at an important stage of its evolution, and to the creation of a landscape that integrates nature and culture in a harmonious whole.
Year of Inscription: 1997
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Maritime Greenwich! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Maritime Greenwich.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/maritime-greenwich/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115332/6862044337_f4bc0d73e3_b-1024x683.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115332/6862044337_f4bc0d73e3_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Maritime Greenwich
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Maritime Greenwich View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Maritime Greenwich View all
Recommendations for Maritime Greenwich
- The Queen’s House - Coralie Acheson
- The Junk Shop, 9 Greenwich S St, London SE10 8NW - Miki Dowsing
- Walk up to the Royal Observatory and stand with a foot in a different hemisphere - Tracy Collins
- The Story of time - at the Royal observatory. - Ajay Reddy
- The Royal Observatory - Diletta Nicastro
- The fleamarket just outside the college - mitchell phelps
- I had THE BEST fish and chips in Greenwich. Greenwich Park and The University of Greenwhich are exceptionally gorgeous. - Rachel Mahoney
- The Greenwich foot tunnel - Anne-Sophie Redisch
- Meridian Line - Trailblazer
Trivia from Maritime Greenwich
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Maritime Greenwich?
Events at or near Maritime Greenwich
Know any events coming up at Maritime Greenwich?List an event