The Mahabodhi Temple Complex is one of the four holy sites related to the life of the Lord Buddha, and particularly to the attainment of Enlightenment. The first temple was built by Emperor Asoka in the 3rd century B.C., and the present temple dates from the 5th or 6th centuries. It is one of the earliest Buddhist temples built entirely in brick, still standing in India, from the late Gupta period.
Why should you visit?
- The grand 50m high Mahabodhi Temple of the 5th-6th centuries is of immense importance, being one of the earliest temple constructions existing in the Indian sub-continent. It is one of the few representations of the architectural genius of the Indian people in constructing fully developed brick temples in that era.
- The Mahabodhi Temple, one of the few surviving examples of early brick structures in India, has had significant influence in the development of architecture over the centuries.
- The site of the Mahabodhi Temple provides exceptional records for the events associated with the life of Buddha and subsequent worship, particularly since Emperor Asoka built the first temple, the balustrades, and the memorial column.
- The present Temple is one of the earliest and most imposing structures built entirely in brick from the late Gupta period. The sculpted stone balustrades are an outstanding early example of sculptural reliefs in stone.
- The Mahabodhi Temple Complex in Bodh Gaya has direct association with the life of the Lord Buddha, being the place where He attained the supreme and perfect insight.
Year of Inscription: 2002https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/mahabodhi-temple-complex-at-bodh-gaya/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/15144903/mahabodhi.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/15144903/mahabodhi-150x150.jpgajay,travel,world heritage travel
Travel Info for Mahabodhi Temple Complex at Bodh Gaya
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Mahabodhi Temple Complex at Bodh Gaya View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Mahabodhi Temple Complex at Bodh Gaya View all
Recommendations for Mahabodhi Temple Complex at Bodh Gaya
- 80 Ft Buddha Statue - BISHRUTA BANERJEE
- 80 feet temple of lord Buddha - Siddharth Kumar
- Nirvana tree - Girija Harish
- The Bodhi tree where Buddha attained enlightenment - Sanghamitra B. Jayant
- mahabodhi temple, oldest temple in india erected at the sight where Buddha attained enlightment - Shashank Manu
- Try meditation - Dx
- Thukpa - Arjun Bhatnagar
- Bodhi Tree - Trailblazer
Trivia from Mahabodhi Temple Complex at Bodh Gaya
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Mahabodhi Temple Complex at Bodh Gaya?
Events at or near Mahabodhi Temple Complex at Bodh Gaya
Know any events coming up at Mahabodhi Temple Complex at Bodh Gaya?List an event