Built between 1747 and the early 19th century to the design of Guatemalan architect Diego José de Porres Esquivel, the monument expresses the transition from Baroque to Neoclassical architecture and its style can be considered to be eclectic. The Cathedral is characterized by the sobriety of its interior decoration and the abundance of natural light. The vault of the Sanctuary, however, presents rich ornamentation. The Cathedral houses important works of art including a wooden Flemish altarpiece, and paintings of the 14 stations of the Way of the Cross by Nicaraguan artist Antonio Sarria (late 19th and early 20th centuries).
- It is the largest cathedral in Central America.
- Such is the robustness of its walls that the Cathedral has survived tremors, volcanic eruptions of the volcano Black Hill and wars.
- Seven tunnels start under the church and lead to the other churches in the city of which three tunnels are partly opened to tourists.
Year of Inscription: 2011
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit León Cathedral! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to León Cathedral.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/leon-cathedral/
Travel Info for León Cathedral
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to León Cathedral? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from León Cathedral
No photos here yet. Have you been to León Cathedral?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited León Cathedral
Have you been to León Cathedral? Share travel photos
Recommendations for León Cathedral
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to León Cathedral? Share Recommendations
Trivia from León Cathedral
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to León Cathedral?
Events at or near León Cathedral
Know any events coming up at León Cathedral?List an event