The frankincense trees of Wadi Dawkah and the remains of the caravan oasis of Shisr/Wubar and the affiliated ports of Khor Rori and Al-Baleed vividly illustrate the trade in frankincense that flourished in this region for many centuries, as one of the most important trading activities of the ancient and medieval world.
Why you should visit?
The group of archaeological sites in Oman represent the production and distribution of frankincense, one of the most important luxury items of trade in the Old World in antiquity. Criterion iv The Oasis of Shishr and the entrepots of Khor Rori and Al-Balid are outstanding examples of medieval fortified settlements in the Persian Gulf region.
- Frankincense was once a more valuable commodity to the Arabian Peninsula than oil is today.
- This fragrance was a gift given to baby Jesus by one of the three wise men.
- The Roman Empire coveted the frankincense trade. In the first century BC, Augustus Caesar sent 10,000 troops to invade what the Romans called Arabia Felix to find the source of frankincense and to control its production.
Year of Inscription: 2000
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Land of Frankincense! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Land of Frankincense.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/land-of-frankincense/
Travel Info for Land of Frankincense
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Land of Frankincense? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Land of Frankincense
No photos here yet. Have you been to Land of Frankincense?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited Land of Frankincense
Have you been to Land of Frankincense? Share travel photos
Recommendations for Land of Frankincense
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Land of Frankincense? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Land of Frankincense
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Land of Frankincense?
Events at or near Land of Frankincense
Know any events coming up at Land of Frankincense?List an event