The site includes eighteen interconnected lakes in the hyper arid Ennedi region of the Sahara desert covering an area of 62,808 ha. It constitutes an exceptional natural landscape of great beauty with striking colours and shapes. The saline, hyper saline and freshwater lakes are supplied by groundwater and are found in two groups 40 km apart. Ounianga Kebir comprises four lakes, the largest of which, Yoan, covers an area of 358 ha and is 27 m deep. Its highly saline waters only sustain algae and some microorganisms. The second group, Ounianga Serir, comprises fourteen lakes separated by sand dunes. Floating reeds cover almost half the surface of these lakes reducing evaporation. At 436 ha, Lake Teli has the largest surface area but is less than 10 m deep. With their high quality freshwater, some of these lakes are home to aquatic fauna, particularly fish.
- The vast arid expanse of the Sahara desert is home to 18 interconnected lakes.
- They cover about 62808 heactares of land and have a maximum depth of 27 metres.
- The idyllic site comprises two groups of lakes 24 miles apart: the saline-based Ounianga Kebir lakes contain only algae and micro-organisms, while the freshwater Ounianga Serir lakes are home to a huge range of fish.
Year of Inscription: 2012
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Lakes of Ounianga! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Lakes of Ounianga.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/lakes-of-ounianga/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115145/4252286314_f5219b9e31.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115145/4252286314_f5219b9e31-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Lakes of Ounianga
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Lakes of Ounianga? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Lakes of Ounianga
No photos here yet. Have you been to Lakes of Ounianga?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited Lakes of Ounianga
Have you been to Lakes of Ounianga? Share travel photos
Recommendations for Lakes of Ounianga
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Lakes of Ounianga? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Lakes of Ounianga
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Lakes of Ounianga?
Events at or near Lakes of Ounianga
Know any events coming up at Lakes of Ounianga?List an event