Kunya-Urgench is situated in north-western Turkmenistan, on the left bank of the Amu Daria River. Urgench was the capital of the Khorezm region, part of the Achaemenid Empire. The old town contains a series of monuments mainly from the 11th to 16th centuries, including a mosque, the gates of a caravanserai, fortresses, mausoleums and a 60-m high minaret. The monuments testify to outstanding achievements in architecture and craftsmanship whose influence reached Iran and Afghanistan, and later the architecture of the Mogul Empire of 16th-century India.
Why should you visit?
- The tradition of architecture expressed in the design and craftsmanship of Kunya-Urgench has been influential in the wider region to the south and southwest i.e. in Iran and Afghanistan, and later in the architecture of the Mogul Empire (India, 16th century).
- Kunya-Urgench provides an exceptional testimony to a cultural tradition (the Islamic culture of the Khorezm) and is unique in its state of preservation. The society that created this centre has disappeared; however we note that most of visitors are in fact pilgrims from the region.
Year of Inscription: 2005
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Kunya-Urgench! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Kunya-Urgench.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/kunya-urgench/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115328/7454249346_4002b8995a_b-656x1024.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115328/7454249346_4002b8995a_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Kunya-Urgench
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Kunya-Urgench? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Kunya-Urgench
No photos here yet. Have you been to Kunya-Urgench?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited Kunya-Urgench
Have you been to Kunya-Urgench? Share travel photos
Recommendations for Kunya-Urgench
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Kunya-Urgench? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Kunya-Urgench
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Kunya-Urgench?
Events at or near Kunya-Urgench
Know any events coming up at Kunya-Urgench?List an event