This unique archaeological and ethnological reserve, located in the Northern Territory, has been inhabited continuously for more than 40,000 years. The cave paintings, rock carvings and archaeological sites record the skills and way of life of the region’s inhabitants, from the hunter-gatherers of prehistoric times to the Aboriginal people still living there. It is a unique example of a complex of ecosystems, including tidal flats, floodplains, lowlands and plateaux, and provides a habitat for a wide range of rare or endemic species of plants and animals.
- From mid-June to mid-August, is one of the best of Kakadu’s six seasons. The locals call it the ‘cold weather’ time. Humidity is low, with daytime temperatures around 30 degrees Celsius and nights around 17 degrees.
- Non-Aboriginal people have come to this country and found used pieces of ochre, stone tools and charcoal from cooking fires. They say that Aboriginal people lived here at least 50 000 years ago. However, Aboriginal people know that they have lived in this country since it was created.
- The Kakadu region is culturally diverse and this diversity and its individual richness makes this region of huge cultural significance. The Aboriginal people in the region are from a number of different clans, often speaking different languages and in some cases upholding different traditions.
Year of Inscription: 1981
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Kakadu National Park! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Kakadu National Park.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/kakadu-national-park/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115131/5101252940_c25a35e5e3_b-1024x681.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115131/5101252940_c25a35e5e3_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Kakadu National Park
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Kakadu National Park View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Kakadu National Park View all
Recommendations for Kakadu National Park
- have an aborigine guide to tell you the dreamstories of the tribe - Cathrin Eszbach
Trivia from Kakadu National Park
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Kakadu National Park?
Events at or near Kakadu National Park
Know any events coming up at Kakadu National Park?List an event