The Jesuit Block in Córdoba, heart of the former Jesuit Province of Paraguay, contains the core buildings of the Jesuit system: the university, the church and residence of the Society of Jesus, and the college. Along with the five estancias, or farming estates, they contain religious and secular buildings, which illustrate the unique religious, social, and economic experiment carried out in the world for a period of over 150 years in the 17th and 18th centuries.
Why should you travel to the Jesuit buildings and ensembles of Córdoba?
- The Jesuit buildings and ensembles of Córdoba and the estancias are exceptional examples of the fusion of European and indigenous values and cultures during a seminal period in South America.
- The religious, social, and economic experiment carried out in South America for over 150 years by the Society of Jesus produced a unique form of material expression, which is illustrated by the Jesuit buildings and ensembles of Córdoba and the estancias.
- The Jesuit block includes the Compañía´s church, the Capilla Doméstica (local chapel), the Priests’ Residence, the Rectorado (former Colegio Máximo of the Compañía de Jesús), as well as its administrative offices, the university council, the Salón de Grados, the Biblioteca Mayor (main library), and the Colegio Monserrat.
- The largest of all the estancias, Santa Catalina, was once the major center of livestock, with thousands of cattle, sheep and mules, besides the mill with their looms and equipment, blacksmithing, carpentry, and two mills.
- The layout of the town is an interesting checkerboard style.
Year of Inscription: 2000
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Jesuit Block and Estancias of Córdoba! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Jesuit Block and Estancias of Córdoba.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/jesuit-block-and-estancias-of-cordoba/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115130/2545022327_55360becd1_b-1024x817.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115130/2545022327_55360becd1_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Jesuit Block and Estancias of Córdoba
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Jesuit Block and Estancias of Córdoba? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Jesuit Block and Estancias of Córdoba
No photos here yet. Have you been to Jesuit Block and Estancias of Córdoba?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited Jesuit Block and Estancias of Córdoba
Have you been to Jesuit Block and Estancias of Córdoba? Share travel photos
Recommendations for Jesuit Block and Estancias of Córdoba
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Jesuit Block and Estancias of Córdoba? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Jesuit Block and Estancias of Córdoba
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Jesuit Block and Estancias of Córdoba?
Events at or near Jesuit Block and Estancias of Córdoba
Know any events coming up at Jesuit Block and Estancias of Córdoba?List an event