Situated in the suburbs of Bagerhat, at the meeting-point of the Ganges and Brahmaputra rivers, this ancient city, formerly known as Khalifatabad, was founded by the Turkish general Ulugh Khan Jahan in the 15th century. The city’s infrastructure reveals considerable technical skill and an exceptional number of mosques and early Islamic monuments, many built of brick, can be seen there.
- It was originally known as Khalifatabad and nicknamed the “mint town of the Bengal Sultanate”.
- The historic city, listed by Forbes as one of the 15 lost cities of the world, has more than 50 Islamic monuments which have been found after removing the vegetation that had obscured them from view for many centuries.
- A small museum has been established by the Directorate of Archaeology of Bangladesh, in collaboration with UNESCO, in front of the Shait Gumbaz Mosque in the complex.
Year of Inscription: 1985
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Historic Mosque City of Bagerhat! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Historic Mosque City of Bagerhat.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/historic-mosque-city-of-bagerhat/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115135/6060876513_b68649de3b_b-1024x683.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115135/6060876513_b68649de3b_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Historic Mosque City of Bagerhat
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Historic Mosque City of Bagerhat? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Historic Mosque City of Bagerhat
No photos here yet. Have you been to Historic Mosque City of Bagerhat?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited Historic Mosque City of Bagerhat
Have you been to Historic Mosque City of Bagerhat? Share travel photos
Recommendations for Historic Mosque City of Bagerhat
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Historic Mosque City of Bagerhat? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Historic Mosque City of Bagerhat
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Historic Mosque City of Bagerhat?
Events at or near Historic Mosque City of Bagerhat
Know any events coming up at Historic Mosque City of Bagerhat?List an event