Berat and Gjirokastra are inscribed as rare examples of an architectural character typical of the Ottoman period. Located in central Albania, Berat bears witness to the coexistence of various religious and cultural communities down the centuries. It features a castle, locally known as the Kala, most of which was built in the 13th century, although its origins date back to the 4th century BC. The citadel area numbers many Byzantine churches, mainly from the 13th century, as well as several mosques built under the Ottoman era which began in 1417. Gjirokastra, in the Drinos river valley in southern Albania, features a series of outstanding two-story houses which were developed in the 17th century. The town also retains a bazaar, an 18th-century mosque and two churches of the same period.
- Located in the Osum river valley in Central Albania this site has evidence of early occupation from the Neolithic period.
- There is a legend of Berat in which the mountains Tomor and Shpirag fought over a woman, whose tears made the Osumi River!
- The wall paintings of the medieval churches of Berat have won great renown, especially for the 16th century painting school established by Onufri and are a must see for every visitor.
Year of Inscription: 2005
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Historic Centres of Berat and Gjirokastra ! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Historic Centres of Berat and Gjirokastra.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/historic-centres-of-berat-and-gjirokastra/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115129/1024px-Panorama_Albania_Tour_003-1024x276.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115129/1024px-Panorama_Albania_Tour_003-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Historic Centres of Berat and Gjirokastra
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Historic Centres of Berat and Gjirokastra? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Historic Centres of Berat and Gjirokastra
No photos here yet. Have you been to Historic Centres of Berat and Gjirokastra?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited Historic Centres of Berat and Gjirokastra
Have you been to Historic Centres of Berat and Gjirokastra? Share travel photos
Recommendations for Historic Centres of Berat and Gjirokastra
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Historic Centres of Berat and Gjirokastra? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Historic Centres of Berat and Gjirokastra
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Historic Centres of Berat and Gjirokastra?
Events at or near Historic Centres of Berat and Gjirokastra
Know any events coming up at Historic Centres of Berat and Gjirokastra?List an event