The Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku Dome) was the only structure left standing in the area where the first atomic bomb exploded on 6 August 1945. Through the efforts of many people, including those of the city of Hiroshima, it has been preserved in the same state as immediately after the bombing. Not only is it a stark and powerful symbol of the most destructive force ever created by humankind; it also expresses the hope for world peace and the ultimate elimination of all nuclear weapons.
- Also known as the A-Bomb Dome or the Genbaku Dome, in Hiroshima in Japan was the only building in the city which survived following the first ever explosion of an atomic bomb.
- Between the Museum and the A-Bomb Dome is the Cenotaph for the A-Bomb Victims. The Cenotaph is an arched tomb for those who died because of the bomb, either because of the initial blast or exposure to radiation. Below the arch is a stone chest holding a register of these names, of which there are over 220,000.
- The personal details displayed here serve to remind that we should not take peace for granted.
Year of Inscription: 1996
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku Dome)! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku Dome).https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/hiroshima-peace-memorial-genbaku-dome/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115231/6755397683_c2148841f8_b-1024x786.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115231/6755397683_c2148841f8_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku Dome)
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku Dome) View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku Dome) View all
Recommendations for Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku Dome)
- Peace Memorial Park - Trailblazer
Trivia from Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku Dome)
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku Dome)?
Events at or near Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku Dome)
Know any events coming up at Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku Dome)?List an event