Heard Island and McDonald Islands are located in the Southern Ocean, approximately 1,700 km from the Antarctic continent and 4,100 km south-west of Perth. As the only volcanically active subantarctic islands they ‘open a window into the earth’, thus providing the opportunity to observe ongoing geomorphic processes and glacial dynamics. The distinctive conservation value of Heard and McDonald – one of the world’s rare pristine island ecosystems – lies in the complete absence of alien plants and animals, as well as human impact.
Why should you visit Heard and McDonald Islands?
This site is the only volcanically active sub-Antarctic island and illustrates ongoing geomorphic processes and glacial dynamics in the coastal and submarine environment and sub-Antarctic flora and fauna, with no record of alien species. The Committee repeated its request by the sixteenth session for further documentation on the marine resources of the site.
- The Australian Territory of Heard Island and McDonald Islands is one of the wildest places on earth – a smoking volcano under snow and glacial ice that rises above the world’s stormiest waters.
- It’s the only sub-Antarctic island group that has an intact ecosystem, to which no known species has been introduced directly by humans, and where the ongoing evolution of plants and animals occurs in a natural state.
- The vast number of penguins and seals is considered one of the greatest pristine wildlife sights in the world.
Year of Inscription: 1997
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Heard and McDonald Islands! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Heard and McDonald Islands.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/heard-and-mcdonald-islands/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115340/8700121564_e827285587_b-1024x875.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115340/8700121564_e827285587_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Heard and McDonald Islands
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Heard and McDonald Islands? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Heard and McDonald Islands
No photos here yet. Have you been to Heard and McDonald Islands?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited Heard and McDonald Islands
Have you been to Heard and McDonald Islands? Share travel photos
Recommendations for Heard and McDonald Islands
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Heard and McDonald Islands? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Heard and McDonald Islands
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Heard and McDonald Islands?
Events at or near Heard and McDonald Islands
Know any events coming up at Heard and McDonald Islands?List an event