The ruins of Great Zimbabwe – the capital of the Queen of Sheba, according to an age-old legend – are a unique testimony to the Bantu civilization of the Shona between the 11th and 15th centuries. The city, which covers an area of nearly 80 ha, was an important trading centre and was renowned from the Middle Ages onwards.
- The earliest known written mention of the ruins was in 1531 by Vicente Pegado, captain of the Portuguese garrison of Sofala, who recorded it as Symbaoe.
- The ruins at Great Zimbabwe are some of the oldest and largest structures located in Southern Africa, and are the second oldest after nearby Mapungubwe in South Africa.
- The most important artefacts recovered from the Monument are the eight Zimbabwe Birds. These were carved from a micaceous schist (soapstone) on the tops of monoliths the height of a person.
Year of Inscription: 1986
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Great Zimbabwe National Monument! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Great Zimbabwe National Monument.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/great-zimbabwe-national-monument/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115339/1541403412_0f81ce4daa_b-1024x687.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115339/1541403412_0f81ce4daa_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Great Zimbabwe National Monument
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Great Zimbabwe National Monument? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Great Zimbabwe National Monument View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Great Zimbabwe National Monument View all
Recommendations for Great Zimbabwe National Monument
- the Great Enclosure - Anne-Sophie Redisch
Trivia from Great Zimbabwe National Monument
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Great Zimbabwe National Monument?
Events at or near Great Zimbabwe National Monument
Know any events coming up at Great Zimbabwe National Monument?List an event