The steep hillsides of the Dazu area contain an exceptional series of rock carvings dating from the 9th to the 13th century. They are remarkable for their aesthetic quality, their rich diversity of subject matter, both secular and religious, and the light that they shed on everyday life in China during this period. They provide outstanding evidence of the harmonious synthesis of Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism.
Why should you visit the Dazu Rock Carvings?
- The Dazu carvings represent the pinnacle of Chinese rock art for their high aesthetic quality and their diversity of style and subject matter.
- Tantric Buddhism from India and the Chinese Taoist and Confucian beliefs came together at Dazu to create a highly original and influential manifestation of spiritual harmony.
- The eclectic nature of religious belief in later Imperial China is given material expression in the exceptional artistic heritage of the Dazu rock art.
Year of Inscription: 1999
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Dazu Rock Carvings! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Dazu Rock Carvings.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/dazu-rock-carvings/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/27072008/Dazu-Rock-Carvings-3-1024x694.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/27072008/Dazu-Rock-Carvings-3-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Dazu Rock Carvings
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Dazu Rock Carvings View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Dazu Rock Carvings View all
Recommendations for Dazu Rock Carvings
- Try spicy Chongqing Hot Pot - Thomas Shaw
Trivia from Dazu Rock Carvings
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Dazu Rock Carvings?
Events at or near Dazu Rock Carvings
Know any events coming up at Dazu Rock Carvings?List an event