Complex of Koguryo Tombs
- Points 100
- Region Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea), Asia and the Pacific
- More Info - UNESCO
The property includes several group and individual tombs – totaling about 30 individual tombs – from the later period of the Koguryo Kingdom, one of the strongest kingdoms in nowadays northeast China and half of the Korean peninsula between the 3rd century BC to 7th century AD. The tombs, many with beautiful wall paintings, are almost the only remains of this culture. Only about 90 out of more than 10,000 Koguryo tombs discovered in China and Korea so far, have wall paintings. Almost half of these tombs are located on this site and they are thought to have been made for the burial of kings, members of the royal family and the aristocracy. These paintings offer a unique testimony to daily life of this period.
Why should you visit the Koguryo Tombs?
- The wall paintings of the Koguryo Tombs are masterpieces of the culture and period of the Koguryo kingdom; the construction of the tombs demonstrates ingenious engineering solutions.
- The special burial customs of the Koguryo culture had an important influence on other cultures in the region, including those in Japan.
- The Koguryo Tombs are an exceptional testimony of the Koguryo culture, its burial customs as well as its daily life and beliefs.
- The complex of Koguryo Tombs is an important example of burial typology.
Year of Inscription: 2004
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Complex of Koguryo Tombs! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Complex of Koguryo Tombs.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/complex-of-koguryo-tombs/
Travel Info for Complex of Koguryo Tombs
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Complex of Koguryo Tombs? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Complex of Koguryo Tombs
No photos here yet. Have you been to Complex of Koguryo Tombs?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited Complex of Koguryo Tombs
Have you been to Complex of Koguryo Tombs? Share travel photos
Recommendations for Complex of Koguryo Tombs
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Complex of Koguryo Tombs? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Complex of Koguryo Tombs
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Complex of Koguryo Tombs?
Events at or near Complex of Koguryo Tombs
Know any events coming up at Complex of Koguryo Tombs?List an event