The Ciudad Universitaria de Caracas, built to the design of the architect Carlos Raúl Villanueva, between 1940 and 1960, is an outstanding example of the Modern Movement in architecture. The university campus integrates the large number of buildings and functions into a clearly articulated ensemble, including masterpieces of modern architecture and visual arts, such as the Aula Magna with the “Clouds” of Alexander Calder, the Olympic Stadium, and the Covered Plaza.
Why should you visit?
- The Ciudad Universitaria de Caracas is a masterpiece of modern city planning, architecture and art, created by the Venezuelan architect Carlos Raúl Villanueva and a group of distinguished avant-garde artists.
- The Ciudad Universitaria de Caracas is an outstanding example of the coherent realization of the urban, architectural, and artistic ideals of the early 20th century. It constitutes an ingenious interpretation of the concepts and spaces of colonial traditions and an example of an open and ventilated solution, appropriate for its tropical environment.
- It was designed by the Venezuelan architect Carlos Raúl Villanueva and the buildings considered to be Villanueva’s masterwork.
- The university is built on the site of the old Hacienda Ibarra which originally belonged to Simon Bolívar’s family.
- The architecture of the university involves the use of spatial elements that have been extracted from Venezuelan colonial architecture, such as bright colours, latticed windows for ventilation, and internal gardens of copious tropical vegetation
Year of Inscription: 2000
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Ciudad Universitaria de Caracas! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Ciudad Universitaria de Caracas.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/ciudad-universitaria-de-caracas/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115337/6724478267_30a2695cde_b-1024x681.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115337/6724478267_30a2695cde_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Ciudad Universitaria de Caracas
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Ciudad Universitaria de Caracas? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Ciudad Universitaria de Caracas
No photos here yet. Have you been to Ciudad Universitaria de Caracas?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited Ciudad Universitaria de Caracas
Have you been to Ciudad Universitaria de Caracas? Share travel photos
Recommendations for Ciudad Universitaria de Caracas
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Ciudad Universitaria de Caracas? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Ciudad Universitaria de Caracas
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Ciudad Universitaria de Caracas?
Events at or near Ciudad Universitaria de Caracas
Know any events coming up at Ciudad Universitaria de Caracas?List an event