In the 16th century, this area was regarded as the world’s largest industrial complex. The extraction of silver ore relied on a series of hydraulic mills. The site consists of the industrial monuments of the Cerro Rico, where water is provided by an intricate system of aqueducts and artificial lakes; the colonial town with the Casa de la Moneda; the Church of San Lorenzo; several patrician houses; and the barrios mitayos, the areas where the workers lived.
- The discovery of ore in silver-rich Cerro Rico (rich hill) by Indian Diego Huallpa in 1544 prompted the foundation of the city of Potosí in 1545.
- The city was originally named Villa Imperial de Carlos V, in honor of then Spanish king Carlos V. Its founder was Juan de Villarroel.
- The city of Potosí sits at an altitude of 4,090 meters above sea level, is the highest city in the world. The city is well-known for its cool weather and sometimes freezing rain.
Year of Inscription: 1987
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit City of Potosí! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to City of Potosí.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/city-of-potosi/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27062137/6949173249_6cc8e2422b_z.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27062137/6949173249_6cc8e2422b_z-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for City of Potosí
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from City of Potosí View all
Travelers Who Have Visited City of Potosí View all
Recommendations for City of Potosí
- the silver mines and ojo del inca - Cathrin Eszbach
Trivia from City of Potosí
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to City of Potosí?
Events at or near City of Potosí
Know any events coming up at City of Potosí?List an event