The Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, formerly known as Victoria Terminus Station, in Mumbai, is an outstanding example of Victorian Gothic Revival architecture in India, blended with themes deriving from Indian traditional architecture. The building, designed by the British architect F. W. Stevens, became the symbol of Bombay as the ‘Gothic City’ and the major international mercantile port of India. The terminal was built over 10 years, starting in 1878, according to a High Victorian Gothic design based on late medieval Italian models. Its remarkable stone dome, turrets, pointed arches and eccentric ground plan are close to traditional Indian palace architecture. It is an outstanding example of the meeting of two cultures, as British architects worked with Indian craftsmen to include Indian architectural tradition and idioms thus forging a new style unique to Bombay.
Why should you visit?
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus of Mumbai (formerly Bombay) exhibits an important interchange of influences from Victorian Italianate Gothic Revival architecture, and from Indian traditional buildings. It became a symbol for Mumbai as a major mercantile port city on the Indian Subcontinent within the British Commonwealth.
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus is an outstanding example of late 19th century railway architecture in the British Commonwealth, characterized by Victorian Gothic Revival and traditional Indian features, as well as its advanced structural and technical solutions.
Year of Inscription: 2004
https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/chhatrapati-shivaji-terminus-formerly-victoria-terminus/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/23033625/IMG-20150815-WA0076-1024x768.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/23033625/IMG-20150815-WA0076-150x150.jpgajay,travel,world heritage travel
Travel Info for Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerly Victoria Terminus)
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerly Victoria Terminus) View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerly Victoria Terminus) View all
Recommendations for Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerly Victoria Terminus)
- Heritage walks in South Mumbai exploring Jewish urban heritage besides #NeighborhoodProject walk in Bandra - ALKA KAUSHIK
- the architectural details - Sunthosh Enamala
- Marine Drive, Gateway Of India - Aishwarya Nair
- The local train ride, the wonderful CST station architecture, the markets around CST especially the fashion street, the local street foods like pani-puri, vada pav, misal-pav, bread-omelet. - Rtr Anusha Thakwani
- The details of the architecture. - Shashank Manu
- Band stand, Gateway of India - Sanghamitra B. Jayant
- Macdonald's , Train , StreetFood - Reshmi Kumar
- Checkout the local museums - Prasun Bheri
- Vadapav - Arjun Bhatnagar
- Masala Chai - UNESCOTravelers
- Local spicy food (chaat)- especially Vada Pao - Sarita Arya
- Riding in the local trains during rush hour :) - Ajay Reddy
Trivia from Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerly Victoria Terminus)
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerly Victoria Terminus)?
Events at or near Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerly Victoria Terminus)
Know any events coming up at Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerly Victoria Terminus)?List an event