Located on the outskirts of Sofia, Boyana Church consists of three buildings. The eastern church was built in the 10th century, then enlarged at the beginning of the 13th century by Sebastocrator Kaloyan, who ordered a second two storey building to be erected next to it. The frescoes in this second church, painted in 1259, make it one of the most important collections of medieval paintings. The ensemble is completed by a third church, built at the beginning of the 19th century. This site is one of the most complete and perfectly preserved monuments of east European medieval art.
- For the preservation of the famous frescoes the church is fully air conditioned to keep the temperature between 17-18 degree Celsius and has a special lighting system that does not emit heat.
- Visitors are allowed inside for 15 minutes only.
- The church allows free admission each Monday from 15:00 till 17:00.
Year of Inscription: 1979
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Boyana Church! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Boyana Church.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/boyana-church/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115141/3046943756_bfb9260d9c_b-1024x768.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115141/3046943756_bfb9260d9c_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Boyana Church
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Boyana Church View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Boyana Church View all
Recommendations for Boyana Church
- The little church (no photos allowed inside, sadly) and the giant redwood on the grounds - Anne-Sophie Redisch
Trivia from Boyana Church
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Boyana Church?
Events at or near Boyana Church
Know any events coming up at Boyana Church?List an event