The oasis of Bahla owes its prosperity to the Banu Nebhan, the dominant tribe in the area from the 12th to the end of the 15th century. The ruins of the immense fort, with its walls and towers of unbaked brick and its stone foundations, is a remarkable example of this type of fortification and attests to the power of the Banu Nebhan.
- The area is believed to be the oldest inhabited regions in Oman and archaeologists have found artefacts dating back to the third century BC here.
- The ruins of the fort tower 50m above the village, and although its famous windtowers have been almost totally destroyed over time, they were once thought to be the tallest structures in Oman.
- You will find some amazing pottery in the Bahla souk (market) as Bahla is a source of high quality clay and home skilled potters. Interestingly, all the potters out there are male. It is only in the southern regions of Oman that you can find female potters.
Year of Inscription: 1987
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Bahla Fort! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Bahla Fort.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/bahla-fort/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/23133730/3633380370_3ae4c4e58b_o.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/23133730/3633380370_3ae4c4e58b_o-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Bahla Fort
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Bahla Fort? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Bahla Fort View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Bahla Fort View all
Recommendations for Bahla Fort
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Bahla Fort? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Bahla Fort
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Bahla Fort?
Events at or near Bahla Fort
Know any events coming up at Bahla Fort?List an event