Angkor is one of the most important archaeological sites in South-East Asia. Stretching over some 400 km2, including forested area, Angkor Archaeological Park contains the magnificent remains of the different capitals of the Khmer Empire, from the 9th to the 15th century. They include the famous Temple of Angkor Wat and, at Angkor Thom, the Bayon Temple with its countless sculptural decorations. UNESCO has set up a wide-ranging programme to safeguard this symbolic site and its surroundings.
- Constructed in the 12th century Angkor Wat is the largest religious monument in the world.
- The structures orientation to the west and its counter clockwise details all direct towards the Hindu beliefs of death and thus the original use of the temple maybe associated with funeral rituals.
- Curiously, the temple was dedicated to Vishnu rather than the then King of Cambodia.
Year of Inscription: 1992
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Angkor! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Angkor.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/angkor/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115143/456945151_52542b07af.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115143/456945151_52542b07af-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Angkor Wat
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Angkor Wat View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Angkor Wat View all
Recommendations for Angkor Wat
- Siem Reap War Museum, Sweet Rice Pan Cakes, Tender Coconut - savvyuec
- Angkor Wat without the crowds!! - Naomi Wells
- All temples in the Ankor Thom area including the famous Ankor Wat temple. Ta Phrom temple is not to be missed. - Nivedita Chaman
- Sunrise is a must see as is the race to the temple before dawn to get the best vantage point - hundreds of tourist minibuses - Shelly Duncan
- Sunrise and sunset at the ankor wat. - Kamana Sharma
- Temples of SuryaVarman, - Deepa Bhat
- You CANNOT go to Cambodia without visiting Angkor Wat, and you CANNOT go to Angkor Wat without visiting Bayon, the temple of giant faces. - Rachel Mahoney
- pub street at night - hustle and bustle and great craic - Paul Fenton
- Temple tour - Paul Brooks
- Beautiful sunrise - Takashi Hiruma
- All the amazing sites! - Mimi Onishi
- Ta Phrom - Trailblazer
Trivia from Angkor Wat
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Angkor Wat?
Events at or near Angkor Wat
Know any events coming up at Angkor Wat?List an event