The abbey, together with its monumental entrance, the famous ‘Torhall’, are rare architectural vestiges of the Carolingian era. The sculptures and paintings from this period are still in remarkably good condition.
- It is one of the most renowned monasteries of the Carolingian Empire and its remains are among the most important pre-Romanesque–Carolingian style buildings in Germany.
- To make the abbey popular as a shrine and a place of pilgrimage, the body of Saint Nazarius was obtained from Pope Paul I, and deposited in the basilica of the monastery in 765.
- Most of the buildings at Lorsch were pulled down in 1621 during the Thirty Years’ War.
Year of Inscription: 1991
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Abbey and Altenmünster of Lorsch! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Abbey and Altenmünster of Lorsch.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/abbey-and-altenmunster-of-lorsch/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/18043356/Lorsch-Abbey.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/18043356/Lorsch-Abbey-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Abbey and Altenmünster of Lorsch
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Abbey and Altenmünster of Lorsch View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Abbey and Altenmünster of Lorsch View all
Recommendations for Abbey and Altenmünster of Lorsch
Trivia from Abbey and Altenmünster of Lorsch
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Abbey and Altenmünster of Lorsch?
Events at or near Abbey and Altenmünster of Lorsch
Know any events coming up at Abbey and Altenmünster of Lorsch?List an event