Date – 14 September 2014
Distances – 3km, 10km, 21km
Registration fee – Rs. 900 (10km and 21km), Rs. 700 (3km)
Please note that this is a fun run and there is no prize money. Families and friends are welcome too.
What does the Registration fee include?
- Souvenir tshirt
- Run support including electrolytes, water, etc
- A unique finisher cum souvenir medal
- Post run breakfast
- A run through a beautiful, scenic route and a tryst with history
21k run – 6 am
10k run – 7 am
3km run – 7.30 am
Belur is the former capital of the Hoysala empire. The Chennakeshava temple here is one of the finest examples of Hoysala architecture. It was built by king Vishnuvardhana in commemoration of his victory over the Cholas at Talakad in 1117 CE. The temple at Belur, along with the one in Halebidu (17km) form the ‘Sacred Ensembles of the Hoysala’ site which is on the tentative list of world heritage sites too.
Belur is also part of the Malnad region, a region known for its natural beauty, rich forests and coffee plantations.
Check this travelogue to see the historic as well as natural beauty this town is known for – link.
Things to do, Places to visit nearby
- National parks – Talacauvery (part of the Western Ghats world heritage site) and Nagarhole national park
- Treks – Mulyangiri (highest peak in Karnataka), Baba Budangiri
- Religious – Sravanabelagola (one of the tallest and most graceful monolithic statues in the world of Lord Gomateshwara), Lakshmi Narasimha Temple Nuggihalli
- Dams – Yagachi (3km), Gorur (60km)
- Hassan, the nearest town is also home to the Master Control Facility of the Indian Space Research Organization’s Indian National Satellite System.
- Stay at the Balur estate and relax after ther run (15% off for all who mention GoUNESCO and Go Heritage Runs at the time of booking)
Getting to Belur
- Nearest Railhead –
- Nearest Airport –
Mangalore (168 Km) is the nearest, but Bangalore (232km) will be more convenient with more frequent connections and plenty of taxis available.
- Bus –
There are direct buses from Bangalore to Belur (fewer) and to hassan (more frequent). Hassan is about 2.5hrs from Bangalore and Belur is a further 0.5hr from there. Buses from Hassan to Belur are quite frequent.
- Car/self drive –
If you are traveling with your family or a bunch of friends, you can consider driving down to Belur directly. The roads are great, but drive safe! Belur is about 222km from Bangalore. Hassan is 37km from Belur, Hassan is on the way to Belur from Bangalore. Directions – link.
Please register online here – link.
Full list of options, inclusions and prices for accommodation and guided tours – link.