This historic building was installed in the town of Lucea in 1817, it was initially intended for St. Lucia, another island within the Caribbean but because of an error with the intended destination it ended up in the Town of Lucea, the locals claimed it and came up with the funds to pay for it through a subscription service. This building became the Court House for the parish after it was formed on November 12, 1723; this sleepy seaside town predates the parish of Hanover which is located on the northwestern end of Jamaica. The parish of Hanover was named after the house of Hanover in Germany which was the family that King George 1 who was King of the British Empire was from.
During the colonial period, the town of Lucea was busier than the town of Montego Bay which is now the second city of Jamaica. By the mid 18th century, Lucea was the hub of the sugar growing regions around the town because of the presence of the harbour which was the main port for sugar export. The town was also a market centre which was dominated by Jews from Europe who occupied the roles of merchants. The port eventually became a free port due to the large amount of trade done there. The importance of the courthouse only increased over time as the importance of the town grew because it was made the capital of the parish. The courthouse which is in the center of the town also has a clock which is adorned by a German Helmet that sits atop the courthouse. Today the building still maintains the original architectural structure of the outside however the inside has been modified slightly because it is now home to the Hanover Municipal Council.