Mecca Masjid – A Magical Mosque
In the hot hyderabadi afternoon ,visited this monument which is famous for many reasons.Though we were not permitted inside because of some restriction but I wish to go next time to explore the place .The mosque gave a calm and soothing feel.
History of Mecca Masjid :
- Oldest and the biggest mosque in Hyderabad
- Almost 10,000 people can be accommodated at one point.
- Located at a very close distance from the Charminar, Laad bazaar and the Chowmahalla palace
- It got its name from Mecca, the holy place for the Muslims, as it is believed that the fifth ruler of the Qutub Shahi dynasty, especially made arrangements for the bricks to be made from the soil which was brought from Mecca, and those bricks were used for the construction of the central arch of the mosque.
- The construction was completed after 77 years by Mughal Empreror Aurangazeb in 1694.