Namib Sand Sea is the only coastal desert in the world that includes extensive dune fields influenced by fog. Covering an area of over three million hectares and a buffer zone of 899,500 hectares, the site is composed of two dune systems, an ancient semi-consolidated one overlain by a younger active one. The desert dunes are formed by the transportation of materials thousands of kilometres from the hinterland, that are carried by river, ocean current and wind. It features gravel plains, coastal flats, rocky hills, inselbergs within the sand sea, a coastal lagoon and ephemeral rivers, resulting in a landscape of exceptional beauty. Fog is the primary source of water in the site, accounting for a unique environment in which endemic invertebrates, reptiles and mammals adapt to an ever-changing variety of microhabitats and ecological niches.
- The Namib is almost completely uninhabited by humans except for several small settlements and indigenous pastoral groups
- It is an important location for the mining of tungsten, salt and diamonds.
- The Welwitschia plant, considered a living fossil, is found only in the Namib Desert
Year of Inscription: 2013
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit the Namib Sand Sea! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to the Namib Sand Sea.http://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/namib-sand-sea/http://gounesco.com.s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/23133730/3633380370_3ae4c4e58b_o.jpghttp://gounesco.com.s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/23133730/3633380370_3ae4c4e58b_o-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Namib Sand Sea
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Namib Sand Sea? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Namib Sand Sea View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Namib Sand Sea View all
Recommendations for Namib Sand Sea
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Namib Sand Sea? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Namib Sand Sea
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Namib Sand Sea?
Events at or near Namib Sand Sea
Know any events coming up at Namib Sand Sea?List an event