A remarkable example of isolated oceanic islands, born of volcanic activity more than 2,000 m under the sea, these islands boast a spectacular topography and are home to numerous endemic species, especially birds.
- Lord Howe Island was first discovered by Lieutenant Henry Lidgbird Ball, commander of the First Fleet ship, Supply, in 1788, while en route between Sydney Cove and the penal settlement of Norfolk Island.
- The island was first settled in 1834, when three couples arrived from New Zealand.
- During the early 19th century, whalers would often come in search of food and fresh water. The native fauna – which hitherto had not the experience of the vices of man – was easy to catch. Most of the island’s endemic birds were driven to extinction during this period.
Year of Inscription: 1982
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Lord Howe Island Group! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Lord Howe Island Group.http://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/lord-howe-island-group/http://gounesco.com.s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115132/6175230632_619ed8689a_b-1024x768.jpghttp://gounesco.com.s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115132/6175230632_619ed8689a_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Lord Howe Island Group
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Lord Howe Island Group? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Lord Howe Island Group View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Lord Howe Island Group View all
Recommendations for Lord Howe Island Group
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Lord Howe Island Group? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Lord Howe Island Group
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Lord Howe Island Group?
Events at or near Lord Howe Island Group
Know any events coming up at Lord Howe Island Group?List an event